LocationAlhambra , CA United States
San Gabriel High School had an asbestos scare on Thursday, when it was discovered that a few floor tiles had come loose in a classroom frequently used by the football team.
San Gabriel’s facilities department informed the Alhambra Unified School District, who sent out a hazmat specialist to inspect the classroom, said Alhambra Unified San Gabriel High School Principal Debbie Stone, in a letter sent out to staff. The specialist declared the floors needed to be waxed again.
A licensed industrial hygienist also inspected the room and certified it as safe on Friday, said District Spokesperson Toby Gilbert, adding that the football players’ cleats likely loosened the tiles. “At no time was anyone in danger,” she said.
Asbestos floors are considered safe if properly sealed off by tiles and other materials. In the meantime, the football team has been moved to a different classroom.
Updated on Friday, Sept. 21 to correct sender of letter about classroom asbestos to Debbie Stone, San Gabriel High School principal. Article originally stated that the letter was sent out about Alhambra Unified Superintendent Denise Jaramillo.