Calling all high school seniors and college undergraduates from Alhambra or an Alhambra Unified school! You are invited to apply for the 2015 Sam & Jackie Wong-Alhambra Source Scholarship: Exploring Your Roots. Six winners will each receive $500 and publication on Alhambra Source! Please download or share the flyer below.
Submit an essay answering one of the following questions:
- How would you define "626" culture? Imagine you are describing the area to someone who has never been here before. What makes it unique? What are you proud of in the San Gabriel Valley? What do you wish you could change?
- Are you of mixed race or ethnicity? What was it like growing up in two or more cultures?
- How has your ethnicity impacted your relationships or dating, both with people of a similar background and people of a different one?
- Are you a minority? Alhambra's population is mainly made up of Latinos of Mexican background and Asians of Chinese background. Does your family have a different heritage? What is it like being a minority in this majority-minority community?
- Have you ever lived or visited anywhere other than the San Gabriel Valley? What did it teach you about race and culture in the SGV?
- Have you ever visited your parents' (or your own) home country? What did the visit teach you about yourself?
RULES: Must be a high school senior attending an Alhambra or Alhambra Unified school, or a college undergraduate from Alhambra. Past winners are ineligible. Essays must be no longer than 1,000 words and emailed as an attachment to email@example.com by Feb. 15, 2015. Include name, age, school, and phone number. Winners will be announced in March.