Support Alhambra Source

Make A Donation

Ask a Cop: How can you get traffic to slow down?

The Alhambra Source asks your questions to the Alhambra Police Department's Sergeant Brandon Black. Send your questions to info@alhambrasource.org.

Is anything ever going to be done about the speeders that race down Sixth Street from Glendon Way toward Hellman (especially on weekend nights)? The STOP sign is useless and several people (including a child) have been killed since I've moved here. What does it take to get speed bumps installed?

Speed bumps are not the answer for this particular location. I am familiar with that area and speed bumps placed on an incline that is emerging from an underpass is not a safe option. The best solution is on-going communication with the Traffic Section at the police department. They regularly respond to complaints of speeding vehicles and other violations. One of the functions of the Traffic Section is traffic safety. If you have a concern, the best way to resolve the concern is to stay in contact with those that can help, and in this case, it is the Department’s Traffic Section. Meet with them and make sure that they understand your specific complaint and work together for a solution. Contact the Department Dispatch Center at 626-570-5151 during normal business hours and ask for the Traffic Sergeant.

We are having trouble in our neighborhood and hope you can help. Near the intersection of Montezuma & Primrose, freeway construction has started and a detour to I-10 has been instituted thru our neighborhood. People are speeding thru the neighborhood with no regard to the safety of people walking or backing out of their driveways. We have nearly been hit 4 times in the past week twice while walking our dogs thru the neighborhood. I urge the police department to step up patrols in the area and hopefully this will encourage people to drive safely thru our neighborhood. Thank you.

Keeping in mind that the city has no control over the Cal Trans work being performed on the I-10 freeway, the answer to this question is similar to the previous question. Contact the police department’s Traffic Section and explain your concerns or complaints and work together to develop a plan to resolve the problem. Things to keep in mind are time of day when the problem is most acute, the specific location where the problem is occurring and what you would like to accomplish by working with our traffic personnel.

Independent journalism is a bedrock of democracy--and it's in crisis. Here at the Alhambra Source, we're committed to covering the local stories that matter most to you. We don’t have advertisers and we don’t have pay walls, but we do have bills. You read to the end of this story. That's great. But this kind of journalism will end without public support. Join us! Support the work and the democratic values it serves. Donate now!

4 thoughts on “Ask a Cop: How can you get traffic to slow down?”

  1. Find the solution, if speed bumps are the answer, then attend you city council meetings and voice your complaints. Before you go to your meeting be prepared, document the fatalities and statistics of traffic incidents and try to have a solution or plan with you that you can voice to the council. Take a chart so you can easily convey your message. Also sending a notarized letter beforehand to the city Manager and the Police Captain, can’t hurt and let them know that they have been notified of the danger. This will place some liability on the city for inaction, if they have not done anything to remedy the problem in the future, and a future accident occurs. In addition to the city meetings you can start a petition and get people from the community to sign up for your cause. You may even get recruits to help make your streets safer. I notified the police of speeders on my street and their solution to the problem was to start a police trap, where they had a plane clothed officer stand and look into peoples cars and see if they had any violations. They would then cite them for little violations, like cell phone talking, registration, Insurance. As far as I can see this was not helping the problem, just harassing citizens of the community and another way for the city to increase revenue and take from the citizens. Good luck with your cause!

  2. We have the same issues due to the I-10 construction. Too many people in a hurry and are not considerate to the fact that their short cut is through a residential community. As a result, I now frequently call and email the traffic enforcement folks. They are very responsive to my calls.

    When I call, cops are out within minutes and traffic slows down to regular speeds. They have put out a radar sign trailer and also stepped up regular morning and afternoon patrols through the neighborhood to show an increased presence. It has helped considerably although there are a few bad apples who continue to speed through at break neck speed.

  3. Not to diminish the response in any way but my experience as a community member is that our traffic section and particularly the motorcycle patrols, seem to focus on areas where they can easily write tickets.

    As an example, there is a very regular position on Valley Blvd just east of Fremont where every morning I see a motor patrol officer targeting people trying to turn southbound on Fremont from Valley Blvd and crossing a double yellow line at the street intersection. While illegal, this seems to be a ‘traffic problem’ that could be easily fixed by making that left turn lane more usable to drivers.

    Of course, the measurable statistics of tickets being written to those who fall for the same old trap is hard to refute but my experience (I’ve not received any tickets from APD) is that traffic safety isn’t always the goal.

  4. Setup a camera. Simple solution.

Leave a Reply