in the late 1880's, James de Barh Shorb, son-in-law of Benjamin D. Wilson, recognized a need for Catholic education for his growing family and the children of neighboring rancheros. Shorb decided to donated15.5 acresto the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary to build a Convent Boarding School. When he subdivided the town Ramona at Shorb Station (W. Mission Rd. in Alhambra), his daughter Edith asked him to give "the hill" to the Sisters. "Adobe Hill" became the site of Ramona Convent. His daughters, Edith and Ethel, graduted from Ramona Convent in 1891 and 1898 respectively .Since its founding in 1889, Ramona Convent has provided quality Catholic education to the young women of the San Gabriel Valley. A private, all-girls', college preparatory school for grades 7-12, the school offers a challenging curriculum. 100% of Ramona graduates attend college.
Thank you for reading our story! Alhambra Source is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Our newsroom reports fact-based quality journalism that educates, informs and engages our diverse communities - with no paywall. Support our mission and donate today!