LocationAlhambra , CA
The Powerful Voice of Undocumented Immigrants
Share your voice! In an effort to encourage greater appreciation for undocumented immigrant workers, many of whom are valiantly working on the frontlines of COVID-19 in critical industries such as healthcare and food cultivation, preparation and distribution, the Herman Legal Group is sponsoring a $1,000 essay contest.
Applicants must be undocumented immigrant (which includes DACA recipients (“Dreamers”) working in an essential occupation, and write an essay of at least 300 words, in any language, answering this question:
“What do you think of when you hear the word ‘IMMIGRANT'”?
- Applicant must be undocumented
- Must be working, or have recently worked, as an essential worker in the healthcare industry, food supply chain, or other essential industries
How to Apply:
People who wish to participate should send their essay as an attachment in an email to [email protected] by August 1, 2020.
In the body of the email, applicants should include the following information:
- Your name, address, and phone number
- If you are under 18, contact information for your parents
- The nature of your job and length of employment
- The best way to contact you
Once the application period has ended, our essay committee will review the essays and choose a winner by September 1, 2020. The winner will receive $1,000.
The winner will be chosen considering the following factors:
- Responsiveness to the question asked
- The quality of the writing
- The substantive content of the response
We will also be publishing some of the non-winning essays in order to help give voice to the undocumented, to help stimulate a healthier conversation in the U.S. about immigration, and to encourage our elected officials to move on legislation that would provide an earned pathway to permanent residency, and ultimately citizenship, to the undocumented. #ImmigrantStrong