Local school and law enforcement officials respond to tragic school shooting
Alhambra Unified School District and local law enforcement are reaching out to parents and community members, in the In the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut on Friday that left 20 children and six adults dead.
AUSD distributed on Sunday an email about the shootings and a list of resources for parents, teachers, principals, and school staff. Gateway to Success Director Laurel Bear wrote in an email that AUSD and the Alhambra Police Department are working to improve school safety during this vulnerable time.
"The Alhambra Police Department works closely with all schools, public and private, within our policing jurisdiction to enhance safety for students and staff," Bear wrote. "Preventing these tragedies is a goal of law enforcement, schools and society as a whole. When an incident at a school does occur, it is our mutual goal to rapidly, safely, and efficiently resolve it."
The message also included tips for dealing with a national tragedy and talking to your children about the incident, such as finding a calm way to listen, providing reassurance that their school is safe, and giving them a chance to express how they feel. Read the full set of tips from the National Association of School Psychologists.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department also released a list of notification systems available to parents. These systems allow police and schools to create an emergency message and then broadcast it to registered phone numbers or email addresses. The LASD recommends that parents and gaurdians do the following to stay up-to-date with incidents at their children's schools:
1. Sign up for phone alerts through ALERT LA COUNTY.
2. Register to receive local phone, text, or email messages from the Police Department, available through Nixle.
4. Connect to your local patrol station through their website and social media.
5. Sign up for the Specific Needs Disaster Voluntary Registry if you or someone you know has a condition that may impair you from evacuating or staying in an emergency center.
6. Report crimes in L.A. county through LA Crimestoppers, which allows you to report anonymously by email, text, and phone.
The editors at Alhambra Source send their thoughts and condolences to all those affected by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, especially the community of Newtown, Connecticut.